As we inch our way toward Selection Sunday, slowly but surely NCAA Tourney bids are disappearing, as teams win their conference tournaments, and others do enough to play themselves in as at-larges. And while this week has been beneficial to some, it has also left a lot of teams uneasy as we creep towards the unveiling of the brackets Sunday night.
One of which is anxiously awaiting Selection Sunday is the Iona Gaels, who finished 25-7 and won the MAAC regular season, but was unable to clinch the league’s automatic bid earlier this week. Because of it, Iona Athletics Director Gene Marshall was nice enough to join the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast to state the case for his program getting an at-large bid.
To listen to the podcast on this website, click the green box below
To download the podcast straight from iTunes, please click here
To listen to the podcast on your iPhone or Android please click here
To subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast, please click here
Included in our discussion was:
– Marshall just took this job last spring. Did he realize quite the talented program that he was inheriting in New Rochelle?
– Why Iona faced major scheduling woes last spring, and why it led to 12 of Iona’s first 14 games being played away from home.
– What went wrong in the MAAC Tournament, and why it could be indicative of how tough the league actually is? Do people realize how good Fairfield is? How about Loyola?
– How closely Iona is watching what goes on around the rest of the country. Do they follow other conference tournaments? Do they follow what “bracketologists” are saying?
– Marshall expands on Coach Tim Cluess’s comments about the strength of the Big East and other major conferences. Is it fair that they get 6, 7 or 8 bids apiece?
– Finally, Marshall makes his case for why the Gaels are a worthy at-large team in the NCAA Tournament.
Folks, we are now a mere days away from Selection Sunday, and if you ever wondered what it’s like to be a mid-major school just days before the bracket is announced, with your fate in someone else’s hands, this is the podcast to listen to. Marshall was extremely candid and blunt about the Gaels status here, and I appreciate him for it.
Remember, there are any number of ways to access this podcast. If you can’t listen here, you can always download the podcast straight from iTunes, or subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast for updates whenever a new podcast goes up.
I also want to remind you that as we approach the NCAA Tournament, Aaron Torres Sports has a number of very cool prizes we are in the midst of giving away.
Right now, you can win a FREE trip to Ireland courtesy of Guinness just by clicking here. There will also be an Aaron Torres Sports bracket challenge up and available when the NCAA Tournament field is actually announced.
Regardless, I want to thank you for listening to the podcast, and thank Gene Marshall for making time for me to discuss his team.
Best of luck to the Gaels, and best of luck to your team as we creep toward Selection Sunday!