With college basketball season set to tip-off THIS Friday, it only seemed appropriate that I went out and got the biggest and best guest I could for find for this week’s podcast. Well, there’s no bigger guest in the college basketball world than ESPN senior writer Andy Katz, and on Monday afternoon he was nice enough to join the show.
To listen to the podcast on this website, click the green box below
To download the podcast straight from iTunes, please click here
To subscribe to the Aaron Torres Sports Podcast, please click here
To listen to the podcast on your iPhone or Android please click here
Also, be sure to follow Aaron on Twitter @Aaron_Torres
Andy has been at ESPN for 13 years and knows this sport better than anyone. On Monday he discussed a number of topics with me on the 2013 season, including the following:
- Why college basketball is doing a better job now than ever before of making the sport relevant with early season games like Champions Classic, Michigan State-UConn in Germany and Kentucky-Maryland at the Barclay’s Center. What goes into making those games, and which ones is he most excited to see?
- Looking objectively at the defending National Champion Kentucky Wildcats, what does Andy make of the 2013 squad? Is it fair to compare them to a young 2011 team, which ended up making a late run to the Final Four?
- How about Louisville? This team returns more talent than ever before, but they really only did get hot over the last couple weeks of the season. Is this team overrated or properly rated in everyone’s Top 2-3 teams in the country?
- Andy discusses the ever-evolving Big East. Yes, this is the end for Pittsburgh Syracuse and (potentially) Notre Dame, but he also thinks Memphis and Temple will do a decent job filling the void.
- Finally, Andy quickly discusses the situation at UCLA with Shabazz Muhammad, UNLV’s re-emergence as well as some small-school superstars as well.
Folks, if you’re a college basketball fan, than this is the one podcast that you absolutely have to listen to before the season tips off. No one is more in tune with what’s going on around the sport than Andy Katz, and I’m grateful he brought his wealth of knowledge to the show.
Now remember, if you can’t listen to the podcast here or now, there are still a number of ways you can access it.
And for weekly updates on all my podcasts, articles, giveaways and more you can now sign up for the Aaron Torres Sports weekly newsletter, just by entering your e-mail where it says “Aaron Torres Sports Mailing List” or e-mail at ATorres00@gmail.com.
Finally I want to thank Alex for his time, and encourage you to follow him on Twitter @ESPNAndyKatz. And of course, I want to thank you for taking the time to listen to the show.
Until next time…